We are looking for a creative, adaptable and commercially-minded marketer for an exciting new role at Bloomsbury Publishing: UK Brand Manager for the #1 bestselling author Sarah J. Maas. You will develop, oversee and execute UK brand strategy for multi-million copy global bestseller Sarah J. Maas, working with internal and external stakeholders to achieve ambitious growth plans across backlist, current and future publishing, and communicating the brand vision clearly at every step.
You’ll join a dynamic, collaborative and friendly adult marketing team that works across Fiction, Non-Fiction and Cookery, reporting into the Marketing Director. With Crescent City Book 2 currently at Number One in the Sunday Times bestseller charts, this is an exciting moment in the World of Sarah J. Maas, and a rare opportunity to make your mark on UK growth strategy for this global brand author.
You’ll be an experienced marketer who thinks commercially and strategically about your audience – ideally with strong experience in, and knowledge of, the commercial women’s fiction and/or fantasy markets, audiences, retailers, communities, media and channels. You will be bursting with ideas about how to connect millions of fans, lapsed fans and brand new readers with Sarah J. Maas, her work and worlds. The role will be tailored to fit you, your skills and experience.
- Deliver UK campaign strategy and implementation on Sarah J. Maas, with innovative and effective year-round brand campaigns with strategic planning across all formats
- Work closely with the Marketing Director, Senior Head of Marketing, Group Marketing & Publicity Director, Head of Digital Marketing, and other senior stakeholders across the business on this key brand, building and managing internal relationships
- Work closely with the UK Sales team, building impactful tailored campaigns for each retailer, from sell-in to sell-through
- Bring strong knowledge of relevant markets and audiences (e.g. commercial fiction, fantasy crossover) to the Adult Marketing team, with the opportunity to lead campaigns across Bloomsbury’s wider, award-winning Adult Fiction list
- Developing online and social media presences, collaborating on author websites and mailing lists
- Managing the creative development of UK consumer communications, building a ‘look & feel’ across SJM’s publishing strands
- Liaise with media agencies to plan and book impactful advertising
- Collaborate with the US Bloomsbury team and Senior Head of UK Marketing to create a fully joined-up creative and roll-out of global marketing activity
- In-house cheerleader, champion and expert in all things Sarah J. Maas
Knowledge, skills and experience
- Experience running and reporting on impactful, innovative, consumer-focused marketing campaigns
- Strong knowledge of the commercial women’s fiction and/or fantasy market, audiences, retailers, communities, media and channels
- Creative vision, digital know-how, adaptability, and the skills to communicate and persuade, to see your creative vision through the campaign
- Experience creating, managing and reporting on Amazon and social media advertising campaigns desirable
- Experience launching/building newsletter channels and direct-to-consumer strategy desirable
- First class persuasion and influence skills
- Strong problem-solving and analytical skills
- Highly creative thinking which is informed and backed-up by data-driven insight skills
- Superb communication and presentation skills
- Experience bringing together many different global stakeholders
- Keen interest in social media and new digital marketing opportunities
- Excellent organisation and time management skills
- Excellent copy-writing skills, attention to detail, and an eye for great design
- Ability to cross-market and build strong new partnerships with external brands and organisations
The role is a full-time permanent position
The role is based at our London office 50 Bedford Square, London, WC1B 3DP, on a hybrid working pattern of 2 days office based / 3 days home based (or fully office based if preferred). Allocated office days for this role are Mondays & Tuesdays
Please apply with a CV and covering letter addressed to Human Resources (Word or PDF format only) via the ‘APPLY NOW’ button detailing how you meet the requirements outlined above for this role by 18th March 2022.
Bloomsbury reserve the right to close the role early if we exceed the required number of applications
As well as a fantastic opportunity to join a global award-winning organisation, Bloomsbury offers the following competitive benefits package:
- hybrid working pattern of: 2 days office based / 3 days home based (or fully office based if preferred)
- 25 days holiday
- 3.5 days Christmas company holiday
Flexible Fridays – take Friday afternoon off by working an additional 3 hours and 45 minutes earlier in the week
Season Ticket Loan
Summer Hours – June to August
Eyecare Voucher Scheme
That Day – online fitness classes, mindfulness, cookery classes, workshops etc.
Company culture! – Employee Voice Meetings, Staff Networks (BAME, Disability, Mental Health, LGBTQ+ and Parents, Guardians and Carers), 15 Mental Health First Aiders trained across the UK offices, Publishing Events and access to free Publishing Resources
For additional benefits see below
Bloomsbury is a place where anyone of any background, race, ethnicity, religion, sexuality, gender identity, age, ability, or socio-economic status can thrive, feel comfortable, and be heard and accepted. We are an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from all sections of the community.
We are willing to make any reasonable adjustments throughout the recruitment process, please flag to the recruitment team if required
Applicants must have the legal right to work in the UK.
Bloomsbury Publishing Plc.
Bloomsbury Publishing is a leading independent publishing house, established in 1986, with authors who have won the Nobel, Pulitzer and Booker Prizes, and is the originating publisher and custodian of the Harry Potter series. Bloomsbury has offices in London, New York, New Delhi, Oxford and Sydney. Within Bloomsbury’s Academic division, it publishes under Bloomsbury, as well as under a number of prestigious and historic imprint names. Read Our Story for how it all began.
Bloomsbury is committed to creating a working environment that stimulates creativity and collaboration, is respectful of difference, is inclusive and ethical in its practice, and promotes well-being. We are determined to nurture and develop our employees to reach their highest potential, and we know that our success is down to the passion, commitment and hard work of our talented people. We recognise the urgent need to attract and support applicants from all backgrounds and identities to become part of the global publishing industry, allowing diverse voices to reflect and shape our culture and society.
Please read more on our Missions and Values here.
Please read our environmental policy here.